Friday, September 19, 2008

poop...

God, dogs and leadership…

Have patience, this will make sense I hope.
I have four dogs. Two old Jack Russell Terriers and two young mixed rescues.
The terriers are mother and son (18 and 15 years old respectively), the rescues are siblings (almost 4 years old).
The 15 year old terrier is old and very chubby, so he moves slowly. He wanted to go out. So, I go to the back door and wait for him to slowly waddle his way to the door…
I unbolted the door, click…
He pauses in the doorway…
The two younger dogs (who had been sound asleep, with my husband in the back bedroom), heard the click, leaped up out of bed, scrambled frantically through the house and literally created a V formation as they flew through the doorway and PUSHED the chubby dog; propelling him gently through the threshold, like this \o/.
It was God moment.
I have been struggling some with motivating my team. I couple of the people have been dealing with some tough situations and questions and haven’t been actively participating in our design element group. I was concerned for them and their struggles but also I was putting tons of extra time to compensate for the lack of hands over the last two months.
God suggested that I reach out to them and asked them. But, specifically if they are feeling called to be involved. I truly believe that the believers in this group really need to feel called to serve in this capacity and not because they feel they “have to”. I don’t want serving to be a burden.
Especially since I am making a push to start involving some dechurched/unchurched people I have met.
I (in my limited earthly comprehension) was worried that if I asked direct questions, I would hear they were no longer interested in serving on the team.
But, I did ask each one where there heart was.
The answers were awesome.
Despite the trials in their lives, they still feel called to serve.
So when I let the dogs out this morning I saw in that moment, a visual representation of what had just happened this week.
Ahhh, a gentle V formation that gently propelled them over the threshold…
Cool…
Then I stepped in dog poop. I wonder what that means.

No comments: