Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blaise Pascal...

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) mathematician, physicist and philosopher.

I became fascinated by a Blaise Pascal after a small mention in a 90’s tv show (which I can’t even recall the name of the show). Maybe you could help. I was about a family that traveled around in an R.V.
The father was teaching at a school one day and he mentioned Pascal’s wager.
Now this was before the internet was widely used, so I actually did research at the library (remember those).

I was reminded again of Pascal last night in our School of Ministry. He wasn’t mentioned directly, but vaguely in reference to how our pastor deals with his very non-believing family.

Basically, the wager breaks down to this…

Obviously there is a lot more to this theory.
Since then there have been much criticism and refutation to Pascal’s wager; including Richard Dawkins.

There is too much going on in my mind at the moment to actually write much more…but I ask…

What do you think of Pascal’s Wager?

2 comments:

Beth said...

Ok.

I have to think about this for a while...

Perky Gramma Teaches said...

It's interesting. When I discovered Pascal's wager it was actually an answer to how I relate to unbelievers and helped me when I was a licensed minister.