Well, today we started with a crying toddler.
Which is really pretty funny because it doesn't bother me or the other children. We work together to get him interested in what we are doing.
So today we started we MUSIC! It worked in a matter of about a minute, he was dancing around with us.
I’ve been working on a cd of various songs for each week for our study. I finally handed it out to each child today. We first sang the Books of the Bible (rap) to go along with the first five books of the Bible I've made.
(see pictures on blog)
Then on to the lesson. This week we were in Deuteronomy. We were going to learn more about those Israelites that we have been studying about.
First we learned about "how" they read the Bible. With the prayer shawl, covering their eyes with their right hand. We put on our fake prayer shawls, covered ours eyes and read the Shema.
So we chatted about:
Shema is the scripture (Deut. 6:4-9), that starts with...
Hear, O Israel, the LORD is our G-d, the LORD is one...
תרגם: שמע ישיר ישראל, ה 'אלוהינו; ה' אחד
The Shema is the prayer.
The mezuzah is the piece of parchment with the Shema inscribed on it.
We rolled our own mezuzahs, and placed them in little wooden boxes.
Then we went over the a door jam and I showed them "how" and "why" they are placed on the door.
Then we fast forwarded to Mark 12:28-34! You know, where the scribes tried to trick Jesus.
You know the story? Scribe says '“Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
And J.C., the man said...you guessed it ZAP!
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no commandment greater than these."
So...basically Jesus said the main thing you need to know is...
"love God, love others, it's simple..."
Then we learned our song for the day. "Love (The Greatest Commandment)" by Jeremy Blaido.
Snack: Cookies from China and nuts. Yummy!
As you can see there were a lot of coloring sheets today! They really like to color; but we didn't color all of them.
Then they asked if we could please play the ENTIRE cd. So we did, we sang, danced and played musical instruments for a half an hour.
Another fun week in the basement.
SONGS on cd that we've been singing and using for our studies
We didn’t meet for the week of Genesis.
1) We the More We Know the Bible (our theme song), sung to “The More We get Together”.
2) Sow, sow, sow the Word (Matthew - Parable of the Sower), sung to “Row, row, row your Boat”.
3) Let My People Go (Exodus - 10 Plagues)
4) Perfect 10 (Leviticus – went back to the 10 Commandments)
5) Facedown – Matt Redman: (Numbers – Israelites complaining about the manna)
6) Love (The Greatest Commandment) – Jeremy Blaido (Deuteronomy – 6:4-9)
7) Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho (Joshua – The Big Battle)
8) Books of the Bible Rap – Rob Biagi: (as we play with the Books of the Bible being created).
9) Consuming Fire (because it’s one of my favorite songs)
3 days ago